An estate planning attorney provides invaluable assistance to people of all ages in the Ohio area. Everyone can benefit from working with an estate planning professional to help them to take control over end of life matters, to help them determine how affairs will be managed in the event of illness or injury, and to ensure that their loved ones are taken care of.
If you live in Blue Ash or surrounding areas, Zimmer Law Firm is a trusted estate planning firm that you can turn to for help creating your comprehensive estate plan. Our legal team has established a strong reputation for providing compassionate representation and assisting all clients in using the legal tools available to them to create a comprehensive plan for an uncertain future.
Top Reasons You Need an Estate Planning Attorney
Everyone’s personal and financial situation is different, so your reasons for getting help with creating an estate plan are personal to you. Some of the many reasons why most people can benefit by getting the help of an estate planning attorney include the following:
- An estate planning attorney will help you to plan for incapacity. Many people mistakenly believe they don’t need an estate planning lawyer if they don’t have any assets or heirs. The reality is, everyone should talk with a lawyer to create a plan for what will happen in case of incapacity. If you become incapacitated, someone is going to need to manage your affairs and make decisions on your behalf. A durable power of attorney allows for you to name an agent, rather than your friends or family having to petition the court for guardianship.
- An estate planning attorney helps you control your medical future. There is also a risk that anyone could suffer a serious illness or injury and become unable to communicate. When this happens, you need to have a plan in place for the kind of care you do, and do not, wish to receive. If you have a Do Not Resuscitate order on file, you can avoid medical care that will prolong your life without providing any quality of life. You can also have a living will (or advanced directive) and a healthcare power of attorney. A living will allows you to provide specifics on what kinds of care you want while a healthcare power of attorney allows you to dictate who will make other medical decisions for you. The Ohio Hospital Association has an advanced directives packet, but you should not try to create this document on your own as you want to ensure you get comprehensive legal advice on what should be included in your plan.
- An estate planning attorney helps you to protect your estate from estate taxes. If you have a substantial estate, you could find that the government takes a portion of that estate in taxes. In some cases, heirs have been unable to pay estate taxes and have actually been forced to sell a family business or family property in order to generate cash to pay back the government. There are ways to avoid the payment of estate taxes with careful estate planning.
- An estate plan can allow you to protect your heirs. When you pass away, you do not want your family members to find themselves in a situation where they are fighting over what happens to your assets. You may also not want to force your family to go through a stressful probate process, which can take time and can delay your heirs getting their inheritance. There are options to avoid probate through effective estate planning.
These are just a few of the many reasons why it is important for everyone to speak with an estate planning attorney. You may have other concerns like making sure minor children are cared for and that you have named someone as a guardian. Your attorney can customize your plan to meet your needs.
Contact a Blue Ash Estate Planning Attorney Today for Help
Taking the first step and reaching out to a lawyer for help can be daunting. Zimmer Law Firm makes the process easy. Our Blue Ash estate planning attorneys are approachable and understand your concerns when you are planning ahead for your future. No matter the size of your estate or your goals with estate planning, we will treat your situation with the importance it deserves and we will dedicate our legal knowledge and resources to help you create a plan that works for you.
To learn more about how a Blue Ash estate planning attorney at Zimmer Law Firm can help you, browse our special reports or give us a call at 513.721.1513.
- What You Need to Know about Planning for Elder Care - March 21, 2023
- Can a Trust Be Contested? - March 16, 2023
- Ohio Medicaid Limits for 2023 - March 14, 2023